Friday, December 25, 2009

A Season to Remember

I am a baptized Catholic. But it was ages since I was active in my religious affiliation. Although people around me are insinuating that I had become an atheist. That is where they were wrong. I am still a spiritual person. However, my religious practice now is centered on the old ways. My celebration of Christmas is usually on December 21, the original feast of the Higher Beings.

Every Christmas season, I usually celebrate it differently every year. There was a year when I visited a cultural community and cooked food for the children. There was also a time when I distributed some old clothes to the poor. There was also a visit to the jail. This year I planned to visit the sick in the hospital where my sister is employed. But the untimely death of a loved one of one of my students let me decide not to push through with it. Instead, I offered a day of prayer for the bereaved family.

I thought, I would just celebrate Christmas just like an ordinary one, having a meal with my family. However my father organized a sort of community service in our own home. He called all the children of the neighbors to visit us. He instructed the children to sing some Christmas carols. Then he gave them bags of candies and some money. It was brief, very simple. And yet it struck me. It gave me great joy to assist him in giving the candies.

There is great satisfaction in humbling yourself, giving something for others and welcoming them into your life. This is the real essence of the season. Have a wonderful holiday everyone. Enjoy.

No comments: