Friday, December 23, 2011

Are you a Christian or Pagan?

There are close friends who are asking me about my religion. They find it hard to understand my belief system. They are asking me, Are you a Christian or a Pagan?

Since my departure from the monastery, I find solitude and refuge in the Holy Eucharist. Whenever I can make it, I attend the Holy Mass everyday. However there are instances wherein I am so tired that I can’t make it. During that time, I just pray in the confines of my room. I have set up an altar in my room where I put the things that I need in my prayer. Some people might find my altar odd because of the presence of the different elements that I incorporated in it.

Some might think that I am embracing a Christo-Pagan tradition. First, this is not true. It is because I don’t think that Christo-Paganism is somewhat a valid religion or tradition. I find this type of tradition to be sort of convenient name for something that can’t be easily explained. Christo-Paganism is suppose to incorporate the traditions of Christian and Pagan worship. However, if you study your history of religion, you will find it redundant. It is because Christianity itself is a collage of pagan worship. They just changed the names of the different element to call it their own.

I am a baptized Catholic. This is the religion I was born to (and this is the religion I intend to die with). However, in my search I find it convenient just to stay on confines of this religion. I don’t go well with “blind faith”. I took pride on my inquisitive side. I doubt things. I question things. It is because I long for the truth and nothing more.

Religion is just a label. It is just a social affiliation. Sometimes it becomes the source of conflict wherein the philosophy of salvation is debated.

I place myself outside of this label. My relationship with the Almighty, with the Creator, with the Divine is more important than just a mere label of religion. I don’t just do things because I am told to do it. I do it because I choose to do it.

As far as I am concern, I have not done anything to offend any religion, be it the one I am affiliated with or the one in the society. I just find it discriminating when people of different religion is bickering with each other… debating which is the best religion in the world. If you are one of those who are like this, you have to think twice. It is because religion is supposed to make your life less burdened. It is a source of hope. It is supposed to build bridges rather than put up walls.

No comments: